Happiness is not only important for your children and spouse but also you. This is true for both working moms as well as stay at home moms. Being a mom in either of these settings is not easy by any means. Often times moms neglect their own needs that contribute to their happiness.
A mother’s ability to be happier depends on how she takes care of her own physical and mental well being first. If she is not able to care for herself then how can she expect to care for others? A happier mom paves the way for a home that is calm, relaxing, and enjoyable.
The following are some words of advise and tips on how to become a happier mom.
1. Rise one hour before the rest of your family. Spend this hour totally on yourself. Get into the shower and then grab a cup of coffee or tea and relax. Check out the news, read a book, or surf the net. One hour may not seem like much but it does help get you off to a good start.
2. Do not compare yourself to others. You may think that there are moms out there so much better than you but in reality, no human is perfect, not even mothers. All mothers have their own trials, struggles, and make mistakes.
3. Play with your children. Get down on the floor to their level and let them lead the playing. Puzzles, building blocks, and board games are all great as they can be enjoyed by all ages.
4. Stick to a bedtime routine as much as possible. There are times when things will happen and your routine will be interrupted. That is just a part of life. For the most part, if there is a set bedtime kid will become accustomed and in return, you will have time for you and your spouse. Quality time together as a couple is very important for both of you.
5. Take up a hobby. Commit even half an hour a day to do something you can enjoy. This could sewing, knitting, writing, or crafting.
6. Get outside. Take your children out for some playtime and fresh air. Even if it is just to walk for 5 minutes. You will also feel more refreshed as well.
7. Let your kids be kids. Remember they are not adults. They will not always listen, make lots of mess, and have to be reminded over and over again. It is not fair to children to have to perform the same expectations as that of adults. As long as they are not harming themselves or others then let them enjoy being children.
8. Clean a little each day. Do not leave all the household chores to pile up for six days and then try to tackle it all once a week. Depending on your day you may not accomplish all you dreamed of, however, you will eventually get to it. If that means that the dirty dishes sleep overnight in the sink or the laundry gets left outside hanging on the line until the next day then so be it.
9. Skip the cooking at least once or twice a week. Ask your husband to bring take away food on his way from work. While it is not the healthiest option it may just be needed once in awhile.
10. Do not be afraid to put your needs and happiness ahead of others. Always remember to eat well and drink plenty of water during the day. Keep healthy and easily accessible snacks on hand. Fruits, trail mixes, and tea biscuits are good choices.
What do you do to help bring happiness to yourself as a mom? Is it helpful?…